Date: 2017-2018 Q4 B2.2
Course: Aesthetics of interaction (DCB200)
Coach: Miguel Bruns
Expertise areas: Creativity and Aesthetics
The start of our design process was almost completely based upon techniques from the previously provided papers. The start was Interaction relabeling, where we used five objects to map new interactions. Next to that, we also used Design for extreme characters, form the same paper. Both techniques provided us with a lot of ideas that we could implement into our design. The next step was to use to start prototyping. This way I learnt to explore and adjust design concepts based on other techniques that I did not know before, all extracted from scientific papers.
During the final session with our coach we received feedback to our initial prototype. Most of the individual components were good. What marked a problem, however, was the further implementations of these components. All the different parts with the different types of interactions were too separate and prevented a flow in the experience. Some improvements that can be made in a future design can change the relation between the two clocks. If the time can also be displayed through a similar way or through the same medium as the alarm is set, there would a clearer flow and improved relation between the time and set alarm. To set the alarm the user would now have to turn the dials. It was not clear however which numbers were selected, because lack of indication. An improvement can be made where these time selected is highlighted better. In addition, the shapes (especially the triangle) are a bit inconvenient to turn. In the future the shape can be made more round to improve consistency and ergonomics.